Thursday, June 17, 2010

Dragonfly - Broad-bodied Chaser?

I have not had much luck trying to find the common name for this dragonfly.  I am now wondering if the markings on the wings are unique to each insect.  I have found lots of pictures of dragonflies that are the same shape and size but the markings are different.  The closest I could come to it was the Broad-bodied Chaser.  If there are any dragonfly experts out there perhaps you could shed some light on this. 

This is only one of many different shapes and sizes of dragonflies that are here every year.

I do know that all dragonflies eat mosquitoes and blackflies so they are more than welcome in my yard whenever they like. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw a dragonfly this morning mom and it had different markings the tips of the wings were clear then a black stripe.. then clear it almost looked like a war plane with the racing stripes on it very pretty flew away before i could find a camera.~

    ReplyDelete