Thursday, August 12, 2010

Hazelnuts



This hazelnut bush was covered in hazelnuts this year and also included a robins nest.  We will keep that one for a later post.  The hazelnuts grow in pods or fibrous husks with a single nut encased in a very strong out layer or shell.  It is very rare that I get to see them when they are ripe because the birds and animals always know when they are ready to eat before I do.  Usually by the time I notice they are almost ready to pick, the birds, chipmunks and squirrels have already taken them.  I think because they were so abundant this season they did not manage to eat them all before they fell to the ground.  Some also had a small worm inside and I am sure the birds knew that they were not going to make a good meal.  Isn't nature beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment